Saturday 27 October 2007

Day 184

Had a wonderful time at tennis today. I am really improving and think I can hold my own with the other ladies now. I love playing very much and that makes me soooooooo deeply happy ... happy to love a sport finally and to actually want to do it.

Something else I've noticed that I want to share. The more weight I put on over the years the more I I loss both flexibility and mobility. My knees always felt stressed, my right arm felt arthritic, if I sat for too long, I struggled to get up.

When I first started to play tennis I moved like a slug, my reflexes were very poor and after each practice session my knees were so sore I could hardly walk. One session when we were practicing to serve, my right arm where it connects with the shoulder felt like it was going to stick in place or break off ... think of door with a rusty hinge. I was really afraid that I would have to give up tennis before I'd even got going properly, but I wanted to do it so badly that I just pushed through. I decided that I'd give it a month and if things didn't get better then I'd have to stop because I was just hobbled after every session.

Then last Saturday it all disappeared. Suddenly my knees just stopped hurting and my arm is completely flexible ... at least for a very fat arm. I was quite relieved ... ecstatic actually. Since then I have been playing much better and I think that's because I can now move without the rust feeling or pain.

After tennis one the ladies asked me if I wanted to go have a coffee. I was quite pleased because I happened to like her most of the four other ladies in the class. We spent a really wonderful afternoon in one of the little she she cafés in our neighbourhood. I was having such a good chat that I lost track of the time and did not get back in time for tango. :(

Now I am completely wired from the coffee (which I never drink) and can't get to sleep. Well, at least I was able to forget my misery for most of the day. :)

B - 330
200g of yogurt- 260
1 pureed fruit cup - 70
1 tbls agave - 43

L - 310
1 latte - 204
1 elderberry juice - 106

D - 513
Soup - 210
1 cup of yogurt - 260
1 tbls. agave -43

Calories - 1153 calories
Exercise - 1 hr. tennis
H2O - 72 oz water

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear you had a nice time at tennis. I would rather endure bamboo shards under my fingernails than play sport. I applaud your enthusiasm. You sound shocked someone asked you for coffee?? WTF?? I would ask you for coffee, lunch AND DINNER if I was there. I would be fighting James for your time all the way. Glad you had a pleasant afternoon. Don't missing Tango that one time, sometimes, other things, like making new friends is more important. Tango will be there, though if you knocked this lady back on the coffee, she may not have asked you again. Next week you may have coffee with your new lady friend, AND make it in time for your dancing!! (God, have mentioned lately how GREAT your life sounds)... Tennis, travel, friends, tango.......James.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a great feeling? I used to play basketball up through college. I haven't touched a basketball in 10 years. I would probably fall over from the exertion. I guess it's never too late to get back up and try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

What's it all about Alfie?