Monday 17 December 2007

Day 134

Okay, time for a little confession here. I love travelling but I HATE flying. I can usually manage up to 5 hr. flying without a major panic attack but the longer I stay in the air the more opportunity for my compulsive obsessive personality to take over. I have to do a lot to distract myself from the hysteric brought on by the idea that goes around and around in my head that there is a thin piece of metal between me and thousands of feet of nothing. My regulation carry-on luggage is stuffed with book-on-tape, ipod, notebook, novel, even my embroiderer kit (don't worry no scissors and just a blunt needle - don't want Scotland Yard or MI5 branding me the latest terror suspect.) My best defense though is sleep, so when I am taking a morning flight, I sometimes skip sleep the night before so that I'm so tired I have no choice other than to fall asleep once I am settled on board and if things go well when I wake up, I'm there.

6 comments:

  1. I don't mind flying (I used to pilot a small plane), but I do mind the smallness of the seats and the narrowness of the aisles. I don't know how full your plane to Barbados is, but the last time I went to England, the plane wasn't even half full, so I had a whole row of seats to lie down and sleep in. It was great!

    Of course, the flight home was booked solid, so I was awake for the whole trip. That was a REALLY long day...

    And yes, you can grow bananas in north Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the exact same way as you when it comes to flying, but I get like that no matter how long the flight is. It's scary for me. I just try not to fly alone.

    Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure aren't alone when it comes to the panic and flying. I hate not having control over things - and being up in the air doesn't work for me. :))))
    Sounds like your carry on bag is the same as mine as well! People don't mind flying with me though - I NEVER WANT THE WINDOW SEAT. Ha.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same on ferries. I hate them!!! So try and sleep.

    Have fun on your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your flight went well, I just hate take offs and landings, but takeoffs in particular. A cuple of good valium do the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete

What's it all about Alfie?